Installation & Requirements
Download the file for your operating system, extract it, open the created folder, and run RocketTux.exe or RocketTux, as you would any other Windows or Linux program. The game should play well on any recent PC/laptop/Chromebook that has hardware accelerated graphics, 2GB RAM, and a dual core CPU. To give you an idea, it’s a little slow my old Core2 Q8200 quad core desktop that has 8GB of DDR2 RAM and a 1GB Nvidia Geforce 450 graphics card, yet it plays great on my Intel based Chromebooks. See this document for help with running RocketTux on a Chromebook.
Here is a video that demonstrates how to play the game…
That naughty Nolok has been up to no good, again! This time he and his minions decided it would be hilarious if they took people’s everyday items and hid them inside of magic blocks all over the world. Someone has to clean up Nolok’s mess and Tux is always up for a challenge. Of course, Nolok isn’t going to make it easy for him, even though he does think that rocket pack thing is cool. Word is that the “Rescue Girlies” are also doing making an effort to reign in Nolok’s chaos.
When version 1.0 is released, the following game play will be available.
- Boost and fly around collecting coins and items to spend on customizations to the game and to complete quests.
- “Coin-Bounce” or use a boost to puzzle your way around obstacles to collect all the coins and quest items.
- Open various blocks (by simply passing over them) that grant items, quests, and powerups.
- Use one of 5 types of powerups to customize your game play experience.
- Unlock new areas, get bonuses, and set perferences by purchasing Cubimals with your coins. Up to six Cubimals can be active at a time, in any combination.
- Randomly generated levels with at least 26 different map sections per theme and 8 total themes.
- Use Cumbimals to influence the time and place of your adventures, as many items can only be found in certain places at specific times of the day.
- No death mechanic. If Tux collides with an enemy or an explosion, he gets knocked back and loses some coins from his wallet (unless he is invincible at the time). Easy mode loses fewer coins, where hard mode loses more coins.
- No “murder hobo” lifestyle; Nolok’s minions are obstacles to be avoided (you can’t kill them, though the bomb guys do explode).
- No time limits. Stop and smell the Fire Flowers!
- No forced movement through levels.
- No need to reach the end of a level to “beat it”. In fact, you’ll probably go back and forth a few times to collect everything. The level ends when you feel like leaving it. You get a bonus for collecting all the coins though.
- No “secret areas” or other potentially annoying mechanics that you’ll need to look up on the Internet just to understand!
- Each map is a puzzle, where the idea is to collect as many coins as possible. However, you only have so many boosts and “coin jumps” to get up to the high coins and to get over obstacles. So the biggest tip is to get up to the top of the screen and go back and forth, collecting highest coins first, then work your way down.
- If you have run out of boosts and you’re stuck between obstacles, unable to small-jump out, then that’s it for you on that level!
- Don’t sweat it if you weren’t able to collect all the coins in a level. There are an infinite amount of chances ahead of you to collect more!
For more information, please see the GitHub page!
Blog Posts About RocketTux